Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sanctum

I went to watch a new released 3D movie last night, SANCTUM. 

It is set in Papua New Guinea and actually based on a TRUE STORY of cave divers trapped in the cave when a typhoon attacked the cave area earlier than expected. The divers/caves then had to make a tough decision of going deeper into the submerged cave system in order to find another way out.

The reason I watched it is because it’s about divers and I’m a diver myself.
And as a diver, there were times while watching the movie that I literally held my breath for the actors.
There were also times when my chest hurts because I can literally feel what they are feeling.

The amazing 3D effects makes me feel as if I’m right there diving in the water and exploring the cave.
I found myself experiencing dread, horror and hopelessness as I watched the story unfold. It’s also disturbing to watch because in the back of my mind I can’t help but wonder if it might happen to me.
But the best part was when I found my self smiling and feeling relief in the end because when all hope was lost, they managed to survive.

I also give my salutation to all the brave adventurers out there who are brave beyond believe in following their dreams and passion; I can only hope to be as brave and passionate as they are.
You guys inspire me.

The cave divers, volcanologist, free divers, astronauts, adventurers and all those who are passionate about life!

Anyway, great film!
Plan the dive, dive the plan!
This film was amazing and I recommend anyone to see it.

By the way, the shot for the movie is located at The Cave of Swallows, also called Cave of the Swallows (Spanish: Sotano de las Golondrinas), is a pit cave situated in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. The entrance lies along a sloped section of karst, is elliptical in shape, and measures approximately 160 by 205 feet (49 by 62 m). The entrance is undercut around its entire perimeter, and the pit opens up to a room that measures approximately 995 by 440 feet (303 by 134 m). The low point of the entrance provides a 1094 feet (333 m) freefall drop to the bottom of the cave while the high point provides a 1220 feet (372 m) freefall drop.

These measures make it the largest cave shaft in the world, second deepest pit in Mexico and the 11th deepest in the world. 

Below are some photos of the Cave of Swallow, Mexico.







And here is the trailer for the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment